Sunday, August 16, 2009

Journey to the Jetty!

From a comment I posted on the deseret news (who recently ran an article about the Spiral Jetty).

"My wife and I tried to visit the Jetty in 2004 but ended up being fooled by the "fake" oil-drilling jetty. We took lots of pictures and I left confused and confounded about how the jetty we found did not resemble the ones in the pictures.

Then this year (2009) I again started reading about the spiral jetty and came across something that said that there was another misleading jetty nearby. And I thought "I wonder if we went to the wrong one?" So I pulled up google maps looked at the satellite view of the jetty, and scrolled over a bit and lo and behold, I found the other jetty that we had seen!

So naturally, I _had_ to go back and see the real one. So my wife and I and our two kids (which hadn't been born yet in 2004) all made the day-long trek from West Jordan (2 hours each way, I estimate, which isn't bad). We got video and pictures of the whole thing. Unfortunately, the water level was very low, so the jetty was completely "dry" which was a bit disappointing. Ah well, good times!"

2 comments:

Creswell-Hyde Away said...

This looks like a fun family outing! Thanks for sharing! I loved it.

Maren said...

Interesting! I've never heard of a spiral jetty before. Now I'm going to go google it and find out more.