Saturday, January 5, 2008

Update on snow and cake


It was actually raining last night! RAINING! We could hear the wind and rain pounding our house as we slept. I said "That's odd that it would be raining in January. I bet it snows." Sure enough, when I looked out the window, our cars, driveway, and the street in general are covered, deeper than it's been this year so far. Ugh, I really wish we had a snow blower.

After having made two cakes, I decide to make a smaller version of the cake (without frosting) to try to improve the taste. I decided that the foul taste I was detecting in the cake was not due to the whole wheat flour, but due to the olive oil (after tasting some plain olive oil by itself). So I replaced the olive oil with canola oil and remade the cake, using whole wheat flour, and half Splenda, half sugar. It actually tastes pretty good. In fact, Heather didn't even realize that I had used whole wheat flour!
So at this point, I would still like to eliminate as much of the sugar as possible so I thought as a possible compromise, I could replace half of the whole wheat flour with white flour, and add some Benefiber to offset the effects of the white flour. The problem is, I don't know how much fiber to add to make the white flour have as much fiber as whole wheat flour.

No comments: